Sunday, July 28, 2013

Untitled (but not by default, so really titled as "Untitled")

I've been getting that itch to write lately.  In the past I've tended to have pretty specific themes that I centered each blog post around.  Full disclosure, at this point I got nothing!  We're just going to open the metaphorical floodgates and see what pours out of my mind and soul.  If you're lucky it will be something majestic and inspiring like a cascading waterfall, if not it may end up more resembling waste run-off.  Eewww...let's hope for the former or at least something in between.  

I guess the biggest news as of late is that I just finished my 3rd of 10 four-weeklong clinical rotations for pharmacy school.  That's kinda the fancy way of saying on-the-job training.  We get to work one-on-one with pharmacists in a number of settings.  I guess the only difference between rotations and on-the-job training is that payment is flowing (much like the run-off...er, waterfall I spoke of) in the opposite direction.  I'm pretty excited though to think that here in the next couple of weeks I will apply for my last student loan ever.  I hate being in debt and the sooner I can start moving the needle in the opposite direction the better.  Rotations have been good so far.  I still can't give a firm answer as to what type of pharmacy it is I want to end up practicing.  I mean safe and effective are obviously good, but in what field?  That is the question.  I'm not worried.  I've always been notoriously methodical in making up my mind about big, life-altering decisions.  What to major in, what type of grad school to apply to...I was so unsure that I took the PCAT and the LSAT just to be safe.  In hindsight I'm glad I'm not a lawyer.  No offense lawyer friends, it just was not for me and I know that now.  Not to brag, but I think as far as school and career moves I've nailed it so far.  Okay, okay, yes that is bragging.  Fair enough.  I haven't nailed the relationship stuff quite so much, but that's a different blog for a different time.  Or probably for no time, I think it would just come off sounding bitter and pessemistic and thats not what Gary's Indiana is about.  (See how well that new blog title works out!!!).  Point being, choosing a path within the realm of pharmacy falls squarely into the career-related choices category, so I think we're good.

I attended a young single adult conference this past weekend.  Okay, quick timeout for friends of other faiths besides Mormonism.  Young single adult (YSA) is for 18-30 year old members of our church who aren't married yet.  Since marriage and family get emphasized a lot in our church, I guess it's helpful to approach the teachings about it from the point of view specific to those being taught (how to strengthen your marriage as opposed to how to prepare for marriage and strengthen it once you're there, similar, but not quite identical right?).  You can basically think of this YSA conference as a big Frat/Sorority party minus the booze and with spiritually uplifting messages.  Kind of...if you're curious if I'm embellishing, I am, but you should come check it out with me sometime just to be sure.  Okay, game back on, welcome back to the converstaion everyone else.  So anyway, I went to the YSA conference.  It was great.  Highlightling the event for me was listening to the new mission president in our area (and former BYU and Fresno State basketball coach) Pres. Cleveland speak.  He talked about the iron rod (a great story in the Book of Mormon for those of you unaware) and related it to a sports analogy.  If you know me, you know why this worked.  If you don't, we obviously don't know each other, "Hi, my name is Gary, I LOVE sports."  He shared an experience about a particular practice in which his players didn't seem very engaged.  To "help the players regain focus" he decided to have them start running.  If you've played basketball you've probably run what I used to know as "suicides".  He had a different name for them, but the routine is the same.  Run from one baseline to the free-throw line and back, halfcourt and back, opposite free-throw line and back, opposite baseline and back.  A good coach will make sure players are touching each line and not pulling up short.  Apparently Coach Cleveland's players were not touching all the lines and he went on to tell the rest of the story about how he got them to see the importance of being deliberate and not cutting corners.  It is the same way spiritually.  We can't cut corners, we can't forego "touching all the lines" and expect the greatest results.  The message he shared impressed upon me certain things I should be doing to "touch all the lines" in my relationship with God.

Before I wrap things up, and completely unrelated to the rest of this post, I feel compelled to tell you I made "Merica Bean Dip for a 4th of July cookout.  It was met with great enthusiasm, and if you are wanting to know how to do that yourself, I will be happy to provide instruction.  No, I didn't find it on pinterest.  'Merica Bean Dip was a product of my own ingenuity and intellect.  This isn't quite like being there but it's close....You're welcome!                Til next time, everybody stay classy!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Glad things are going well for you, Gary!

Jenna and Drew said...

The dip looks really good, except I need to know what the blue stuff is. That part has me a bit concerned. I'm glad you are loving pharmacy. I really enjoy working retail pharmacy; however, I will never become a pharmacist, so it may be different from your point of view. Good luck in finishing all your rotations!